Winter skin care
As the weather gets colder, the key to good winter skin care is moisturising. When skin is properly hydrated it’s more efficient at locking moisture in and keeping environmental factors out, preventing chapped and flaky skin. The trick is to stick to a daily routine of cleansing, toning and moisturising, but tailor the products you use to the conditions.
- Avoid soap and harsh cleansers, and use a gentle foaming cleanser instead.
- Steer clear of alcohol based toners, which can take too much vital oil out of the skin.
- Use oil based moisturisers, which create a protective layer on the skin and help retain moisture. (Tip: since these take longer to absorb, it’s better to apply them every evening; it’s for this reason products that are oil based are often sold as “night creams”).
- Replacement of skin cells is slower during winter, so keep up with weekly exfoliation, but go for one that uses fruit acids and enzymes to gently lift away dead skin cells.
- Don’t scrub at winter sensitised skin, you’ll only do more damage.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen (good quality foundations often include SPF). It may be winter, but there’s still plenty of sun, which can damage and age unprotected skin.
- A weekly face mask is always a great way to pamper yourself – just remember to swap to one that replenishes and moisturises your skin.
- Make sure you slaver on a good, oil based body moisturiser. We might be putting our legs away for the winter, but it’s still better to avoid that flaky crocodile skin on your shins…
- Carry a good quality chapstick in your handbag. Lips can become sore very quickly on a day out when it’s windy. If you prefer to wear lipstick then choose a lip balm based colour instead of a traditional lipstick.
- Don’t forget to look after your hands. Wear gloves outside, and moisturise daily.
- As tempting as it is to sink into a long hot bath, try to keep the temperature down and don’t wallow for too long – hot water is much more dehydrating for the skin than cooler temperatures.
Latest trends for protection skin
If you are short on time then a multi-tasking product is ideal. Our tip for winter is the new Merumaya Everything Everywhere Oil. It’s a light moisturising oil that you can used literally anywhere, and because it’s light it absorbs very quickly. Apply to your face, hands, body, lashes and brows (Tip: mixa drop in with your foundation every morning so you can moisturise while you do your makeup).
If you feel in need of some pampering and professional rehydration, you can always book Vanity Van to bring the facials to your event as a thank you to staff for their hard work or to reward a client for their business. We offer everything from an express to a luxury facial tailoring to suit your skin type and condition and a multitude of other beauty treatments to wow your guests.